If you prefer learning in the online environment or wish to experience instructor-led online learning, this three-week online course is perfect for you. Practice your writing skills through online discussions with your instructor and classmates and receive personal feedback on your weekly assignments.
- How adults read
- The difference between reading on-screen and in print
- Writing for all devices (computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones)
- The 5 Cs of effective writing: correct, clear, concise, coherent, and consistent
- Plain language principles
- Avoid jargon/technical terms and redundancy
- Editing – yours and other’s
- Audience Analysis
- The writing process: pre-writing, drafting, feedback, editing/revising, finalizing
- What is a briefing note and how differs from other types of reports
- Discover the benefits of plain language writing geared toward the reader
- Become familiar with and practice the key principles of plain language writing in emails, reports, and work-related correspondence
- Demystify grammar and punctuation rules
- Identify key grammar and punctuation errors in your writing and correct them
- Ensure tone, content, and style help you get the results you want
- Have greater clarity and impact
Note: This course is also available as a one-day workshop. Learn with others through engaging discussions, a variety of hands-on writing activities, and immediate feedback from your classmates and instructor.
3-5 hours per week
A week prior to the course start date you will receive an email from us with information on how to access the online course. At that time you will be encouraged to visit a short orientation website to familiarize yourself with our online learning platform. You will find the computer requirements for this course through this link: computerservices.royalroads.ca/computer_equip_requirements.
This course can be taken on its own or as part of the Professional Communication Skills Certificate and the Management & Leadership Skills Certificate - ONLINE.