The power of this four-week online course is immersion in a realistic project or assignment, in which you will experience and optimize group dynamics with your co-learners in a work team. Your team will plan its objectives, taking into consideration your project's strategic purpose. You will learn and apply the skills needed to delegate responsibilities and to monitor and review your plan to achieve your project's deliverables.
- Assessing the implications of the organization’s strategic goals on the team
- Aligning work team goals with the strategic goals of the organization
- Determining work team priorities annually and reassessing them quarterly
- Preparing a work plan in the form of a modified Gantt chart
- Developing individual goals/performance plans with each team member
- Delegating authority commensurate with responsibilities
- Facilitate the work team’s priority-setting within the context of the strategic goals of the organization
- Help the work team’s efforts to reassess and re-establish key priorities
- Plan the support, encouragement, coaching, and celebration that will help the work team maintain their focus on accomplishing what they’ve planned
- Help each team member write clear, time-bound goal statements
- Describe the measures that will be used to assess actual results
- Identify the support required for each team member to accomplish their goals
- Use the delegation process as a means of enhancing communication, developing skills, and building confidence
Note: This course is also available on campus face-to-face.
5-7 hours per week
A week prior to the course start date you will receive an email from us with information on how to access the online course. At that time you will be encouraged to visit a short orientation website to familiarize yourself with our online learning platform. You will find the computer requirements for this course through this link: computerservices.royalroads.ca/computer_equip_requirements.
This course can be taken on its own or as part of the Supervisor Skills Certificate and the Management Skills for Environmental and Sustainability Professionals Certificate.