Going beyond organic gardening – beyond permaculture – we will mentor you through an entire food growing season so you can gain the essential gardening skills and the confidence to grow most of your own food.
- Create and maintain healthy soil, which will grow nutritious, vibrant, health-giving food
- Analyze and optimize the growing conditions in your garden for the best results possible
- Creatively collect, use and preserve water for optimal garden health, and protection of this precious global resource
- Use holistic solutions for plant health problems ("pests" and "diseases")
- Select, plant, maintain and harvest a large variety of food plants for year-round enjoyment
- Propagate plants to build a diverse food garden at very little cost
- Store your harvest for an abundance of home grown food throughout the winter
- Save your own seeds
This practical, hands-on course is open to everyone, no prior education or gardening experience required.
Students are encouraged to grow their own garden during the year, putting their newly acquired knowledge and skills to practice. Of the 16 sessions, 5 will be classroom sessions and the rest will be practical labs held in students’ gardens. The course also includes inspiring summer fun exercises, and ends with a celebration and potluck event.
There are no pre-requisites, but the Organic Master Gardener course would be highly beneficial before, during or after this program.
Time Requirement: Participants should expect to set aside a miminum of 6 -10 hours each week to focus on assignments.
Course Schedule: Gaia College recommends participants registered in Gaia College courses take no more than 2 courses per semester. For those participants wishing to take more than 2 courses, please contact Gaia College.
Part of the Gaia College/Royal Roads University Diploma in Organic Land Care.
Find out more.